Olurotimi Badero is an Inspirational Nigerian. He is the world’s ONLY combined Cardiologist and Nephrologist (heart and kidney) specialist, Doctor. Dr Olurotimi John Badero was born in Lagos to Late Chief Eliab Olufemi and Mrs Stella Taiwo Badero. His primary education was at St Mary’s Private School in Lagos, where he skipped classes 4 and 6 due to his academic excellence completing primary education in four years. He received his secondary school education at Federal Government College Odogbolu, Ogun State graduating with 8 distinctions in his senior secondary school certificate examination. e previous year, he won the best overall student in Nigeria in national science quiz competition along with other students – Adekunle Shittu, Adebowale Ademola and Ogugua Okonwo.
He received his medical education at Obafemi Awolowo University, College of Health Sciences Ile-Ife after which he relocated to the US for his –graduate training. He completed 3 years of Internal Medicine Residency training at State University of New York (SUNY) Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn NY.
Following which he then completed a 2-year Fellowship training in Nephrology & Hypertension at Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta Georgia.
He returned to SUNY Downstate Medical Brooklyn to complete another 3-year fellowship training in Cardiovascular Medicine/ Cardiology.
Following a distinguished Cardiology Fellowship, he gained admission into prestigious Yale University School of Medicine in Bridgeport, where he completed with distinction, Fellowships in Invasive & Interventional Cardiology as well as Peripheral Vascular Intervention. He was awarded a certificate of achievement for exemplary performance that year.
Olurotimi Badero later returned to SUNY-Downstate Medical Center for another year of Fellowship training in Interventional Nephrology/Endovascular Medicine & Dialysis Access intervention.
In all, he completed an unprecedented 10 years of continuous post-graduate medical training and he is currently a Specialist Consultant in:
• Internal Medicine
• Nephrology & Hypertension
• Interventional Nephrology & Endovascular Access • Cardiovascular Medicine
• Nuclear Cardiology
• Invasive & Interventional Cardiology
• Peripheral Vascular Intervention.
Dr Badero is board certified in six different specialities and is currently the only fully trained and board certified cardio- nephrologist (combined kidney and heart specialist) in the world today.
Dr Olurotimi Badero performed the first trans-radial cardiac catheterization and coronary angioplasty at CMMC Hospital Mississippi.
He is a recipient of many awards including:
• United States Congressional Citation/Record for outstanding medical career and service to humanity
• Distinguished Physician Award as the First and Only combined heart and kidney specialist in the world
• University of Ife Global Award for Excellence in Medicine
• 2014 Mississippi Healthcare Heroes
• Distinguished Alumni Award from the Vice Chancellor, University of Ife
• Association of Black Cardiologists scholarship award for the best cardiology fellow in the U.S in 2008
• G Plus Award for being a Global Pacesetter in Medicine as the First and Only Fully Trained Board Certi ed Cardio- Nephrologist (Combined heart and kidney specialist) in the world
• One of Jackson Mississippi’s Best Surgeons
Dr Olurotimi Badero has authored many peer-reviewed journals and he is currently on the editorial board of the International Journal of Nephrology & Renovascular Disease.
To read more about this rear exceptional and inspirational Nigerian, please get a copy of ComeToNigeriaMagazineSecondEdition 2017. It is also available on Google Play Store or by subscribing online here.